If you knew there was one thing you could do to feel more energized, to boost your metabolism, that would also help you lose weight and reduce your risk of chronic disease, would you do it?
You have probably heard of this age old advice many times before and there is a reason that this advice keeps going around the block. That’s because it is true!
It’s breakfast. All you have to do is eat it to reap the benefits. Here are the top three reasons to start your day right:
- Master Your Metabolism. Break the fast, hence “breakfast”. Breakfast is like waking up your liver, the master of your metabolism. It gets your metabolism going for the day, increasing your calorie burning potential the moment you eat it. The longer you wait to have breakfast, the longer your liver, and consequently, your metabolism stays asleep.
- Boost Your Brain Power. Eating breakfast will help you to feel more energetic and give you the sustenance you need to feel focused and productive all morning long without needing a constant stream of java.
- Curb Cravings. People who skip breakfast often compensate by eating more later in the day and then experience sugar cravings by mid afternoon. Bust the cycle by including a balanced breakfast and you may be pleasantly surprised by the time 3 o’clock rolls around.
It’s not any ol’ breakfast you can eat now! That means coffee shop, super sized muffins and large mochas are out and power breakfasts are in. The magic formula lies in the perfect combination:
- High Fiber Carbohydrates for sustained energy: yams, buckwheat, oats, sprouted grain breads, beans/legumes
- Fresh Fruit or Vegetables for added vitamins, minerals and antioxidants: apples, berries, spinach or kale
- Quality Fats for fullness: butter/oil, coconut, nuts/seeds, cacao, nut butters, avocado
- Protein to boost metabolism: eggs, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, nut butters
Notice that some foods fall into multiple categories. That’s because they have high amounts of each component. Beans and legumes are rich in protein but are also quite starchy making them a great high fiber carbohydrate choice too.
Don’t Stress or It May Cause a Mess!
You can eat the healthiest breakfast, but make sure not to overlook the ingredient that is consumed at every meal, your attitude and state of emotion. Eating on the go, multitasking, or checking your email during breakfast can wreck havoc on your metabolism and puts your body into “stress response” mode.
When this happens, your body releases cortisol. Cortisol is your body’s stress hormone and it decreases the body’s ability to burn fat, increases the body’s fat storage (especially in the abdomen), up regulates appetite, contributes to sugar cravings, decreases immune function, decreases the ability to digest and absorb nutrients from your food and increases risk for chronic disease such as type 2 diabetes. To avoid this response, take a few extra minutes to sit down at the table and thoroughly enjoy your meal.
Make breakfast easy with this Overnight Oats Recipe. Just mix everything together the night before, and a healthy, perfectly combined breakfast will be waiting for you in the morning.
Selena believes that whole food shines with simple flavors and traditional cooking techniques. You are bound to find her in the kitchen whipping up wholesome and healthful meals for her family and friends.