Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta-carotene. Lentils are a great and inexpensive source of protein and an excellent source of fibre.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp curry paste
- 1/2 cup leeks, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup red lentils* *Soak lentils overnight with 1 tsp baking soda; rinse well before adding to soup
- 1/2 coconut milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (garnish)
With the heat on medium-high, add coconut oil to the soup pot. Once melted, add onions, leeks, and curry paste. Sauté until onions are translucent (approx. 5 minutes). Add apple, ginger, and yam. Season with sea salt and pepper. Gently cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Add stock and lentils. Cover, bring to a boil, and return to a simmer for 20 minutes.
Once yams are tender, add coconut milk, garlic, and lime juice. Blend until smooth with an immersion blender. Garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.