- 1 1 quart mason jar with lid and ring Wide mouth makes it easier to fill
- 1/4 cup Packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 2 cups Old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup Roughly chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup Ground flax
- 1/2 cup Dried fruit Cut into small pieces if necessary
Mason Jar assembly
- In a small bowl mix the brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- In the mason jar layer ingredients one at a time in this order, tapping jar gently on the counter after each addition (helps everything settle): oatmeal, brown sugar mixture, ground flax, and dried fruit. Cover with lid.
To make the oatmeal
- Before serving, empty contents from jar in a bowl and combine.
- For 2 servings: In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of milk to a simmer. Add 1 cup of oatmeal mixture and simmer for 5 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. (Oatmeal will thicken as it cools).
- Use any type of dried fruit and nuts.
- This recipe can be made dairy free by replacing the milk with almond milk or something similar.
- You can leave out the ground flax and replace it with extra oats, dried fruit, or nuts.
- This will keep for up to up to 1 month at room temperature.