Pumpkin Miso Soup
- 1 Small sugar pumpkin or sub with 1 can of pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup Plain, unsweetened soy, oat, or cashew milk
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Shiro (white) miso
- 1 half Onion sliced
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Tumeric
- 2 cloves Garlic sliced
- 1 inch Piece of ginger minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Roast the pumpkin: preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the pumpkin in half, remove seeds and stringy bits and then coat the flesh with a generous drizzle of olive oil, 2 tbsp maple, salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed cookie sheet, cut side down and roast for 35-45 minutes.
- Or, open the can of pumpkin.
- Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Cook onion until soft and glossy, about 5-7 minutes. Then add garlic and ginger and stir for 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin flesh, turmeric and 500ml (2 cups) water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Finally, add soy milk and miso and blitz with a handheld blender until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
Recipe by Desireerd