- 1 cup whole oats (not instant)
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 3 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3 tbsp brown rice or whole spelt flour
- 4 tbsp each, chopped walnuts and pecans
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 ½ cups rhubarb, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 2 ½ cups blueberries
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 ½ tbsp arrowroot flour, tapioca, or other thickener
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. To make topping; in a bowl combine oats, sweetener, ground flax seeds, flour, nuts, and cinnamon; mix well. Work in butter with a fork or fingertips until evenly distributed and all the dry ingredients are moistened.
- To make filling; in a 6 cup (1.5 L) baking dish, toss together rhubarb, blueberries, sweetener, thickener, and cinnamon. Sprinkle topping evenly over fruit. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until fruit is soft and topping is golden brown.
Adapted from Rosie Schwartz, The Enlightened Eater’s Whole Food Guide, 2003 Photo by Karolina Kołodziejczak