This pesto recipe can be adapted to feature parsley, arugula or spinach instead of the usual basil. It is versatile enough to be used as a sauce for pasta or as dressing for a mixed bean salad.
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil (or green of choice)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a food processor combine nuts, greens, and garlic. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add oil and pulse until thoroughly combined with other ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use as a sauce for whole grain pasta, steamed vegetables, raw or lightly steamed ribboned zucchini, or use as a dressing for a mixed bean salad.
- Extra pesto can be frozen in single servings using an ice cube tray. Once frozen, pop the pesto cubes out of the tray and store in an air tight container for up to three months.
- Thaw as needed.
Image by RitaE