Tempeh Tacos with Cashew Lime Cream
This delicious, pan-fried and spiced tempeh is the perfect protein-packed filling for these hearty tacos. Adjust the spices to be as mild or as fiery as you'd like, and load the tacos full of your favourite toppings!
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 Shallots minced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 11 oz Temphen sub for cooked brown lentils, or firm tofu
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 2/3 cup Canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Sodium reduced soy sauce or swap for tamari
- 9 Corn tortillas or swap for gluten-free tortillas, or soft tortillas
- 18 Cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 Avocado sliced
- 1/4 Red onion minced
- 1/2 cup Raw cashews
- 1/3 cup Boiling water
- 1 Lime juiced
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedge
- Crumble the tempeh into the pan with your hands and cook for 6 - 7 minutes, stirring until lightly golden. Add splashes of water as needed to deglaze the pan.
- Meanwhile, make the cashew cream by adding the ingredients to a food processor. Blend until smooth. Add more water if needed to achieve your desired consistency.
- Returning to the pan with the tempeh, add the spices and cook for 30 seconds. Then add the diced tomato and soy sauce, cooking for a final 3 - 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the tortillas on a skillet. Spoon the tempeh it onto the warmed tortillas, top with tomatoes, avocado slices, and onions. Enjoy!
Store the filling in an an airtight the fridge for up to 4 days. Recipe by Pick Up Limes