Apple, Ginger & Rhubarb Cobbler
Although this recipe is intended to be a dessert, it could easily well be enjoyed for breakfast, considering the wholesome ingredients used to make it. It has a baked oatmeal texture, it’s not too sweet, and the apples and rhubarb are a great combination.
- 1 cup Coconut refined oil *
- 1 cup Buckwheat flour
- 1 cup Unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 5 Rhubarb stalks Peeled, chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 2 Apples Chopped into 2 cm pieces
- 1/2 tbsp Fresh ginger Minced (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Put the coconut oil into a 6 x 10 inch (15 x 25 cm) baking dish, and place on the centre rack of the oven to melt.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour, plant milk, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the apples, rhubarb, ginger and cinnamon.
- As soon as the oil has melted, remove from the oven and pour the flour mixture into the dish. Do not mix!
- On top of the flour batter, place the apple and rhubarb mix. Again, do not mix!
- Place the baking dish back into the oven and cook for 40 minutes, or until the batter is golden and firm, but springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for a few minutes before enjoying with coconut whip, or a scoop of vegan ice cream!
* Refined coconut oil is coconut oil that doesn’t smell or taste like coconuts. If you’d prefer a mild coconut-y flavour, use unrefined coconut oil instead. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. Recipe by Pick Up Limes: Apple, Ginger & Rhubarb Cobbler