Aush reshteh is a type of thick, legume-based soup with rich herbs featuring reshteh (noodles) and kashk (a whey-based dairy product made from cooked yogurt) commonly made in Iran and Azerbaijan.This soup is a hearty noodle soup with loads of beans, greens, onions, herbs and spices. This Gut Loving recipe is full of protein, fiber, iron, calcium, and more which makes your gut microbes fall in love with you!
- 2 large Large onions Sliced
- 7 cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 tbsp Turmeric
- 1/3 cup Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas)
- 1/3 cup Kidney Beans
- 1/3 cup Navy Beans
- 1/2 cup Lentils
- 1/2 cup Mung Beans
- 2 cups Fresh Parsley Finely Chopped
- 2 cups Fresh Cilantro Finely Chopped
- 2 cups Fresh Mint Finely Chopped (or 1 tbsp Dried Mint)
- 1 cup Fresh Chives or Scallions Chopped (Green portion of Scallions only)
- 1/2 pound Fresh Spinach Chopped
- 1/2 pound Linguine or Reshteh (Persian noodles)
- 1 cup Sour Cream or Plain yoghurt or Kashk (Persian whey)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- If using dried legumes, soak them the night before, cook each one separately until tender. You can always use canned, strain before adding to the pot.
- Sauté onions and garlic until past translucent. Then add turmeric and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. Set onion and garlic aside until ready to go in the pot.2 large Large onions , 7 cloves Garlic , 2 tbsp Turmeric
- Bring 6 cups of water to boil.
- Add chopped herbs and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.2 cups Fresh Parsley, 2 cups Fresh Cilantro, 2 cups Fresh Mint, 1 cup Fresh Chives or Scallions Chopped
- Add the spinach and cook for a further 10 mins.1/2 pound Fresh Spinach
- Add onion and garlic mixture.2 large Large onions , 7 cloves Garlic
- Add cooked/ canned chickpeas, navy beans and kidney beans to the pot, let simmer for 10 minutes.1/3 cup Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas), 1/3 cup Navy Beans, 1/3 cup Kidney Beans
- Add lentils and mung beans. If you add these two too early, they tend to disintegrate.1/2 cup Lentils, 1/2 cup Mung Beans
- Add noodles. Make sure to stir it in so they don’t stick together. Simmer until cooked.1/2 pound Linguine
- Season the ingredients with salt and pepper. Then mix well.
- Drizzle some sour cream or plain yoghurt or kashk on the top.1 cup Sour Cream or Plain yoghurt or Kashk (Persian whey)
- Optional: Garnish with kashk (yoghurt or sour cream), caramelized onions and fried mint.
Recipe by Gut Loving Dietitian