Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookie with Ginger
This is an excellent alternative to the traditional muffin or cookie that often accompanies that morning cup of coffee. Packed with fiber and healthy fats, these cookies will help keep blood sugar balanced and bowel function optimal. Dairy and egg free!Prep & Cook Time: 30 minutes Makes: 12
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon (or more to taste!)
- 1/3 cup raisins or currants
- 1 cup lightly packed shredded carrots, finely grated
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure dark maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, mix together the flax, flour, oats, pecans or walnuts, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and raisins.
- In a smaller bowl melt the coconut oil in the oven or microwave for a few seconds. Oil needs to be hot in order to prevent clumping when cold ingredients are added. Add in grated carrots, ginger, maple syrup, applesauce and vanilla. Stir well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well. The dough will be very sticky, don’t worry.
- With a spoon, scoop approximately 12 cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or greased with coconut oil). The batter does not spread much so you can place them close together.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350F, then allow to cool on baking sheet.
Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows