- 4 Chicken breasts skinless, bone-in
- 1 (2-inch) Piece fresh ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Leeks white parts only
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 cups Daikon radishes or turnips, cut into large cubes optional
- 3 Dried shiitake mushrooms soaked in hot water
- 2 cups Spinach washed
- 1 tbsp Fresh cilantro
- 2 Scallions thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- Put the chicken in a heavy pot with the ginger, daikon, and leeks. Add enough water to almost cover the chicken and sprinkle with salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and bring the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes, then turn the heat off and leave the chicken in the pot to steam for 30 minutes. Do not remove the lid.
- While the chicken is steaming, drain the mushrooms, cut off the hard stalks, and thinly slice. Heat ½ cup water in a small saucepan and simmer the mushrooms for 5 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
- Take the chicken from the pot and thinly slice the breasts. Bring the broth to a boil. Taste for salt.
- Divide the spinach between 4 bowls. Add the mushrooms and then some sliced chicken. Cover with hot broth. Add a pinch of cilantro and scallions. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Cook for Your Life