30-minute Chickpea Sunflower Sandwich with smashed chickpeas and roasted sunflower seeds in a simple dressing. Sandwiched between two slices of bread and topped with garlic sauce.Prep Time: 30 minutesTotal Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 2 sandwiches
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds (if salted, scale back on added salt)
- 3 tbsp mayo (sub tahini for a more earthy, nutty flavor)
- 1/2 tsp dijon or spicy mustard (if using tahini instead of mayo, use half as much mustard)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or sub agave or honey)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp fresh dill (finely chopped)
- 1 healthy pinch each salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 pieces rustic bread, lightly toasted
- Sliced avocado, onion, tomato, and or lettuce (optional for serving)
Garlic Herb Sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 1/2 medium lemon, juiced (1/2 lemon yields ~ 1 tbsp)
- 3/4-1 tsp dried dill
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Water or unsweetened almond milk (to thin)
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Prepare garlic herb sauce and set aside.
- Add chickpeas to a mixing bowl and lightly mash with a fork for texture. Then add sunflower seeds, mayo, mustard, maple syrup, red onion, dill, salt, and pepper and mix with a spoon. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Toast bread (if desired) and prepare any other sandwich toppings you desire (tomato, onion, lettuce).
- Scoop a healthy amount of filling onto two of the pieces of bread, add desired toppings and sauce, and top with other two slices of bread.
- Sunflower-chickpea mixture will keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days, making it great for quick weekday lunches!