Emerald City Salad
- 2 1/2 cup Water, Vegetable stock, or Chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Salt divided
- 1 cup Black wild rice
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Fennel bulb core removed, chopped
- 1/2 cup Red or yellow bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup Red cabbage chopped
- 1/2 cup Parsley diced
- 2 cups Dark, leafy greens chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pecorino or Gorgonzola cheese optional
- Bring water to a boil. Add butter, ½ teaspoon salt, and rice. Bring to a boil again, cover, lower heat, and simmer for an hour. Make sure all of the water is absorbed by tipping the pan to one side to check for pooled liquid.
- Combine lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt in a large serving bowl. Add fennel, bell pepper, cabbage, parsley, and greens; toss thoroughly.
- Once the rice is fully cooked, cool until it ceases steaming but is still warm, then place it on top of the dressed vegetables. When the rice cools to room temperature, toss it with the vegetables. Taste the salad and adjust the seasonings; some extra salt and/or lemon may be required. Garnish with cheese, if desired.
Recipe by Legacy Culinate