Make your own delicious and healthier crackers using whole grains and seeds. These crispy crackers are perfect for dipping. The thinner you roll them, the crisper they are.
- 1/4 cup flax or sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 1/2 cup whole spelt or kamut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a bowl of a stand up mixer, add flax seed, ground flax, flour, baking powder, salt, and butter. With the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in rice milk and mix until mixture forms soft dough. (You can also mix the dough by hand.) Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 10-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into quarters. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured board. Roll out very thin to a rectangle 2 mm (1/16 inch) thick. Sprinkle with sea salt and roll once more. Cut into 6 cm (2 1/2 inches) squares. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with the remainder of the dough.
- Preheat over to 325oF. Bake 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden.
Variations Onion Crackers – use 1 tbsp. organic onion soup mix instead of salt. Cheese Crackers – use 1 cup grated cheddar or goats cheese. Great for kids; use a cookie cutter to make animal shapes. Italian Crackers – use 1 tbsp. oregano and 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese. Honey Snaps – drizzle with honey before baking (skip the sprinkling of sea salt). Photo by Bohdan Stocek