Flax Seed Crackers
Make your own delicious and healthier crackers using whole grains and seeds. These crispy crackers are perfect for dipping. The thinner you roll them, the crisper they are.
- 1/4 cup flax or sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 1/2 cup whole spelt or kamut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a bowl of a stand up mixer, add flax seed, ground flax, flour, baking powder, salt, and butter. With the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in rice milk and mix until mixture forms soft dough. (You can also mix the dough by hand.) Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 10-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into quarters. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured board. Roll out very thin to a rectangle 2 mm (1/16 inch) thick. Sprinkle with sea salt and roll once more. Cut into 6 cm (2 1/2 inches) squares. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with the remainder of the dough.
- Preheat over to 325oF. Bake 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden.
Variations Onion Crackers – use 1 tbsp. organic onion soup mix instead of salt. Cheese Crackers – use 1 cup grated cheddar or goats cheese. Great for kids; use a cookie cutter to make animal shapes. Italian Crackers – use 1 tbsp. oregano and 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese. Honey Snaps – drizzle with honey before baking (skip the sprinkling of sea salt). Photo by Bohdan Stocek