This tea is a Summer revamp of our famous turmeric ginger tea, made with ingredients that provide antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and cancer-fighting properties, helping you to reduce inflammation, support your immune system, ease pain and reduce nausea. Delicious hot or cold, here’s the recipe for a fabulous and refreshing summer drink!Turmeric – This bright yellow member of the ginger family has a long list of health benefits due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Add it to soups, sauces, eggs, salad dressing, rice and pasta dishes – it has a strong colour but not a strong taste.Ginger – Fresh ginger contains several phytonutrients that may help to reduce inflammation and protect against cancer: Fresh ginger may also help with to reduce nausea and vomiting whether due to treatment, motion sickness or the flu.
Servings: 4 cups
- 1 tsp ground turmeric powder (or 1 tbsp grated fresh turmeric)
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- Freshly ground pepper (a few grinds)
- 4 cups water
For each 1 cup serving, add:
- The juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp raw honey, more or less to taste
- Add cinnamon, cardamom and /or cloves while simmering for a chai-like tea
- Combine turmeric, ginger, pepper and water in a pot on the stove. Gently bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer gently for 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly (covered) and then strain through a fine-mesh strainer.
- For each 1 cup serving, add lemon juice and a bit of raw honey just before drinking.
- Pour over ice cubes in a glass and garnish with some lemon slices and a cinnamon stick.
- Store any extra in a covered glass jar in the fridge.
Golden Turmeric Milk In place of all or part of the water, use milk or milk alternative to make a soothing, warm turmeric milk. (Leave out the lemon juice.) Image by silviarita