- 3 tbsp Vegan butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cup Red or white potatoes* peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cup Carrots** peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup Celery*** finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Vegan butter
- 2 cup Yellow onion**** finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 4 cup White or brown mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Beef-flavoured concentrated vegetarian stock
- 1/2 cup Red wine such as merlot
- 2 tsp Fresh thyme chopped
- 2 tsp Fresh sage finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup Panko crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sheets Vegan puff pastry thawed
- 2 tbsp Melted vegan butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 4-6 sprigs Fresh thyme
- In a large nonstick frying pan, melt the vegan butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the potatoes and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and scrape the mixture into a medium bowl.
- In the same frying pan used for the potato mixture, melt the vegan butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mush- rooms soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the concentrated vegetarian stock, red wine, thyme, and sage.
- Cook until the wine is reduced by half.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the potato mixture. Stir in the panko crumbs and season with salt and pepper. (The filling can be made 1 day ahead. Keep in the fridge, covered.)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange one sheet of puff pastry on a work surface with the long side facing you.
- Spoon half of the vegetable mixture lengthwise across the lower-half of the pastry, leaving a 2- to 3-inch (5 to 8 cm) border, pressing the mixture together with your hands to form a roll.
- Fold the sides of the pastry over the filling, then roll it up, starting at the end closest to you. Repeat with the second Wellington.
- Place the Wellingtons on the prepared baking sheet, leaving space between them.
- Lightly brush the Wellingtons with the melted vegan butter.
- Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer the Wellingtons to a long plate or a platter and garnish with the fresh thyme sprigs. To serve, cut into thick slices using a large, sharp knife.
*Approx 2 large potatoes **Approx 3 - 4 large carrots ***Approx 3-4 celery stalks ****Approx 1 large onion Recipe by Jillian Harris & Eat North