This layered dip is quick and easy to make and a great dish to bring to a potluck or to serve for lunch with whole grain crackers and raw veggies. It’s not only delicious and colourful but it’s packed with fibre, healthy oils, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
- 2 cups chick peas; dried and cooked, or canned (drained and rinsed well)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 - 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic (to taste)
- 1 cup hummus (or more depending on size of bowl)
- 1 avocado
- 1 - 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, basil, or cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat feta (optional)
- Chop garlic into small pieces. Place garlic, chick peas, lemon juice, water, and tahini in a food processor and process until smooth. Add spices, oil, and mix. Drizzle with more olive oil for longer keeping.
- In a decorative bowl or Pyrex pan, layer the hummus to cover the bottom. In a separate bowl, mix the avocado with lime juice and mash until smooth, then layer on top of the hummus. Top with salsa – enough to cover avocado. Sprinkle with goat feta and chopped herbs. Serve with rice crackers, rye crisps, toasted spelt pitas, or vegetable crudités.