- 1 - 2 sheets dried nori seaweed, optional
- 4 cups steamed Japanese rice (sushi rice)
- salt to taste
- 1 oz black sesame seeds optional
- 1 umeboshi optional
- 1 fillet salmon optional
- Cut each nori sheet (if using) into 8 or 9 strips and put about a 1/2 cup of steamed rice in a rice bowl.
- Wet your hands with water so that rice won't stick.
- Rub some salt on your wet hands.
- Place steamed rice in your hand and form into a triangle, making sure it is dense and thick.
- Put your favorite filling, such as umeboshi or grilled salmon, on rice and push the filling into rice lightly.
- Hold rice between palms.
- Form rice into a round, a triangle, or a cylinder by pressing lightly with both palms, securing filling in the middle. Roll rice ball in your hands a few times, pressing lightly.
- Wrap rice ball with a strip or two of nori (if using), or sprinkle some sesame seeds on them (if using).
Recipe by Spruce Eats