Beets are a fantastic vegetable for promoting good liver health. It’s great to note they don’t have to be cooked; they are very tasty raw as well. Mixed with a lemony mustard dressing and fresh herbs grated raw beets make a very healthful, colourful and tasty salad.
- 1 cup raw beets*, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp red onion, minced
- 0.5 avocado (optional)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice + zest
- 1.5 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp tahini
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
*Note: You can make this recipe using golden beets, red beets or the farmer’s market favourite, chioggia beets (striped beets), or even a combination. Try experimenting with different fresh herbs like dill, basil, or fennel for a different taste combination.
- Wash and grate the beets.
- Make the dressing by mixing the lemon juice & zest, mustard, tahini and sesame oil together. Pour over the beets and mix well.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Taste and adjust ingredients to taste, adding unrefined salt and pepper if needed.
- Eat immediately or store in a covered container for 3-4 days.
Photo by Radek Grzybowski