This warm winter salad is hard to beet! Gluten-free, iron-rich quinoa is combined with earthy, vibrant, liver-supporting beets and a citrusy dressing to tantalize your taste buds.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 beets, trimmed and quartered
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 juiced orange + zest
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Rinse quinoa well and place into a large pot with 1.5 cups of water and pinch of sea salt. Cover, bring to a boil, and immediately reduce to a simmer without removing lid. After 20 minutes, check to see if the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and leave lid on for 10 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. While quinoa is coking, roast the beets. Toss the beets with oil and salt and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until beets are fork-tender. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To prepare dressing, combine olive oil, orange zest and juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently toss the cooled quinoa, beets, arugula, and parsley with the dressing.
Photo by Amber Baker