“Super grain” quinoa is paired up with healthy, delicious black beans and a colorful array of veggies in this easy to make protein-rich salad that can be served as a side or as a main course.Quinoa – Even though it is technically a fruit, quinoa is called a “super grain” because of its uses and high nutritional value. It provides all the essential amino acids and is high in iron, vitamins B3 and B6, and phosphorus. It is gluten-free, makes an excellent substitute for rice or pasta in recipes, and can also be made as a breakfast cereal.Beans – High in fibre, complex carbs, minerals, antioxidants and protein, beans are a super healthy, versatile and affordable food. Eating beans regularly may decrease the risk of heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.Olive Oil – Extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil not only tastes great but is an excellent source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. It contains many antioxidants and provides anti-inflammatory, cardiovascular and cancer-protective benefits.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water (for quinoa)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Rinse and drain the quinoa well. Place quinoa, water and a pinch of unrefined salt into a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender and most of the water has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5-10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients (lime juice, olive oil, garlic, sea salt, and maple syrup).
- Add the quinoa, black beans, cilantro, red pepper and green onions. Toss gently.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.