Adapted from Anne Lindsay, Smart Cooking. Macmillan Canada; Toronto: 2002
Nutritional Value of Select IngredientsEggs– A perfect food (you can make a whole chicken out of them!) eggs contain protein, unsaturated fats, vitamin A, calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, and are quite low in calories.Garlic – Garlic is touted as a “cure-all” due to its many uses in medicine. It has a beneficial effect on heart disease, cancer, and infectious diseases. It decreases cholesterol levels, detoxifies the body, stimulates the immune system, and the list goes on and on. Eat garlic raw and regularly for maximum benefits.Onions – Because they are high in sulfur, onions help lower cholesterol, inhibit cancerous tumor growth, help manage diabetes, and are an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal food that are also a blood tonic. Really you can’t go wrong! Eat them daily.Spinach – High in antioxidants, reduces the risk of cancer, high in magnesium (for mood), iron, great for the eyes, etc. etc, etc. A nutritional bonanza. Eating spinach with a source of vitamin C (strawberries, grapefruit) help absorb the calcium found within.Zucchini – As they are 95% water, they are an excellent ‘diet’ food. They have anti-cancer properties, and are particularly great in the summer months because of their water content (prevents dehydration) and carotenes (protects against damaging effects of the sun).Parsley – This herb is useful as a diuretic, useful for detoxification and ingestion, and helps the lungs and spleen. Great for the kidneys, parsley is full on minerals, vitamins, fibre, and phytonutrients.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups zucchini, thinly sliced, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, goat, or soy cheese (optional)
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Add zucchini and garlic, cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. In bowl, combine cheese, parsley, eggs, spinach, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; stir in zucchini mixture. Spoon into lightly greased 9-inch pie plate. Bake in 325ºF oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until set but still moist in the center. Serve hot or cold; makes 4 main-course servings.