Spelt is an ancient form of wheat that is easier to digest than regular white or whole wheat flour and has a slight nutty flavor which is perfect for pancakes. Top these lovely golden cakes with fresh fruit and a touch of maple syrup and you have a healthy, delicious breakfast, brunch or even dinner!
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk of choice
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until firm peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat yolks and mix in the milk. Add the yolk and milk mixture to dry ingredients and mix very lightly.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Lightly oil and heat a cast iron or stainless steel skillet over medium-low heat.
- When the pan is hot enough (a drop of water sizzles on it) pour ¼ cup of batter into the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes, until bubbles begin to form around the edges of the cake.
- When the underside is lightly golden, flip with a spatula and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until golden brown on both sides. You may need to adjust the heat up or down at this point.
- Serve the pancakes immediately or keep warm in a 2000 F oven.
- Serve with your choice of delicious toppings such as sliced fresh fruit, fruit sauces, chopped nuts and seeds, nut or seed butters or a touch of pure maple syrup or raw honey.
Recipe by InspireHealth